Saturday, Nov. 21 – Although I’ve kind of had enough of temples, tombs and other antiquities, Jerash opened yet another window to olden times. Unlike Petra, which was cut and chiseled from rock, Jerash was built of limestone and marble. In fact, it’s a pretty good example of Roman architecture, complete with a couple of coliseums, temples to Zeus and Artemis, many, many arches and even more Corinthian columns. Despite my expectation of boring, I found myself impressed — again.
The remainder of the day, our last, was free and we wandered around Amman a little, getting a flavor of the city. Seems like any other big city, although certainly quite different from Cairo. On the way to Jerash, we drove through a neighborhood that is basically the Palestinian ghetto, home to about 150,000 displaced Palestinians who believe they’ll be able to return to their homeland at some point. I’m thinking it’s going to be a long wait.
No comments:
Post a Comment